One thing I love is kielbasa, sausage or a brat. When I saw there was chicken sausage I didn’t know what to expect. I didn’t think it would be nearly as good as the “real” thing. Once I finally tried it I was pleasantly surprised! It has a ton of flavor and it is way better for you.
This is the kind I bought:
This ended up being the perfect weeknight meal. With the kids back in school I wanted something quick, easy and yummy. It accomplished all three! I used Ore-Ida diced hash browns. This helped me save time because I didn’t have to peel and dice potatoes.
Chicken Sausage Skillet
Yield: 4 servings (1 heaping cup per serving) 5 SmartPoints each.
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cups Ore-Ida diced hash browns
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 links chicken cheddar sausage, diced
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add onion and minced garlic. Stir for one minute, then add the frozen potatoes, salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and cook on medium-low for 7 minutes, stirring once half way through.
- Add bell pepper, chicken sausage, spinach, chicken broth and paprika. Cook until sausage is heated through and spinach is thoroughly cooked (about 5 minutes).