I’m happy to tell you that this Italian Stromboli comes to you family approved! My kids aren’t the biggest fans of the two ingredient dough, but they loved this recipe.
(This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more info.)
I will admit that I didn’t actually tell them it was the two ingredient dough until after they devoured it. That was kind of a HA HA moment for me.
You know how kids are, if they think they won’t like something they pretty much already have their mind made up.
I also didn’t tell them I used turkey pepperoni instead of regular pepperoni. Neither of them even questioned it. I will admit that at first I was reluctant to try the turkey pepperoni too, but I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked it.
I used 24 pepperoni for this Stromboli. If I had used regular pepperoni it would have been 9 Freestyle points, but since I used the turkey pepperoni it was only 2 Freestyle points. That’s a big difference!
The other ingredients I used in this were Boar’s Head black forest ham, part skim mozzarella cheese, red onions and peperoncini’s.
I served it with a side of pizza sauce but you could also use low fat Italian dressing. I ended up not even using the pizza sauce because the flavor of the Stromboli was so good.
I think the two ingredient dough can be a little sticky when you’re working with it. I suggest making sure your work surface has plenty of flour on it and I spray my hands with non-stick cooking spray. That helps a lot.
To help me roll up the Stromboli I used a Stainless Steel Scraper & Chopper. I can’t imagine doing this recipe without it.
If you don’t really like the two ingredient dough I suggest you try this. You just might change your mind!
Italian Stromboli - Weight Watchers Freestyle
Yield: 3 servings = 6 Freestyle points per serving (My Stromboli was 13 inches long)
- 1 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup self rising flour (It must be self rising flour)
- 1/4 pound Boar’s Head black forest ham
- 24 turkey pepperoni
- 1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced peperoncini’s
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl mix together yogurt and flour. I used my hands.
- Sprinkle flour on your workspace and put your dough on it. Roll it out into the shape of a rectangle. I used my Scraper to cut away access pieces and make sure it’s rectangular.
- Add the ingredients starting with the ham, turkey pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, red onion and peperoncini’s. Leave about one inch of one long edge free of ingredients. This will help keep the ingredients in when you roll it up.
- Starting at the long edge with ingredients, carefully roll up the dough.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and place the Stromboli onto it.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and add 2 teaspoons of water. Brush the egg wash onto the dough, then add the Italian seasoning, garlic powder and dried minced onion.
- Bake 14 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.