I love appetizers. No party is complete without them!
With the holidays coming up, this Brushetta will make a perfect appetizer. There are a few things that I did to lighten up this recipe.
I bought a loaf of French baguette bread that was not sliced. I wanted to slice the bread myself.
That’s because a 1 ounce piece of this bread is two points, but slicing it into a 1/2 ounce slice is only one point. That saves one point for each piece of bread, which helps to make this Bruschetta 2 Freestyle points per piece.
Once my bread was all sliced I put it on a baking sheet. I mixed one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil with 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, then brushed it onto the bread. It’s not a lot of oil, but the bread will still toast up perfectly.
I mixed together tomatoes, red onions, basil, chicken breast, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. I added chicken breast to give it some protein and make it a little more filling. I really liked it!
I only added 1 teaspoon of oil to the tomato mixture. This helped to cut back on points, plus I don’t think it needed more than that.
The last thing I did was added a balsamic glaze. It’s really easy to make, I just simmered 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar for 7 minutes to let it reduce and thicken up.
I didn’t even use all of the balsamic glaze, a little but goes a long way. I put the leftover balsamic glaze in a small container with a lid and put it in the fridge. When I want to use it I will just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to loosen it up.
Overall this recipe is very easy to make, and perfect for parties! It’s also great as a light lunch.
Bruschetta - Weight Watchers Freestyle
Yield: 20 servings – 2 Freestyle points per serving
- 1 French baguette loaf – cut into 20 slices that are a half ounce each
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red onions, chopped
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and chopped
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine 1 tablespoon olive oil and garlic powder in a small bowl. Brush the top of each baguette slice with the garlic oil.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake 10 minutes.
- In a small sauce pan add the balsamic vinegar and bring to a simmer for 7 minutes, then remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl add the tomatoes, red onions, chicken breast, basil leaves, teaspoon of olive oil, salt and pepper, then stir the mixture.
- Place a tablespoon of the mixture onto each baguette.
- Add a small amount of the balsamic glaze to each piece.