Casseroles are the BEST during these cold months. They are comforting and delicious!
As good as casseroles are, sometimes they can be high in points. This Monterey Chicken Casserole is a recipe I’ve been making for years, but it needed to be lightened up.
Just a few simple changes made this recipe more Weight Watchers friendly.
The original recipe used 1 cup of regular sour cream. I changed it to reduced fat sour cream which saved 4 points.
The monterey jack cheese was another thing I made an adjustment to. The original recipe called for two cups which is 32 Freestyle points. I reduced it to 1 1/2 cups which saved 8 points.
The recipe is so cheesy and good I couldn’t even tell a difference.
This Monterey Chicken Casserole is also perfect for using a rotisserie chicken. Those are my favorite kinds of recipes. Less work that I need to do!
This recipe is one that the whole family likes. A night without complaining about dinner is always a good night.
It’s funny because my younger daughter claims she doesn’t like chicken, yet she likes this recipe. She’s more so “picky” about chicken. She will only eat it in certain recipes.
She also gobbles up the chicken legs on the rotisserie chicken, but she doesn’t like chicken.
Another thing I like about this recipe is that it has spinach in it. I just use frozen chopped spinach because it’s easy. There’s just enough spinach so that the kids will eat it without complaining.
This recipe is 8 Freestyle points per serving so I usually serve a low point salad with it. It’s a fabulous and filling dinner.
Monterey Chicken Casserole - Weight Watchers Freestyle
Yield: 8 servings – 8 Freestyle points per serving
- 6 oz. spaghetti
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 egg
- 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 5 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
- 1/2 cup French’s fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook spaghetti according to the directions on the package, then drain.
- In a large mixing bowl add the sour cream, egg, garlic and onion powder. Whisk together.
- Add the spaghetti, chicken, cheese and spinach and stir together.
- Spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and add the ingredients to it. Sprinkle with the onions and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and cook an additional 5 minutes.