I love eating salads…especially Greek salad. The only problem is the dressing can be loaded with fat.
I learned a little trick years ago to lighten up dressing made with oil.
I buy Good Seasons Italian Dressing quite often. It’s one of my favorite Italian dressings to make at home. Not only do I use it on salad, but it is also great as a marinade.
I was making the dressing when I happened to notice it said to reduce the fat replace half of the oil with water. I never thought to do that.
It worked great! The dressing still tasted delicious, but had half of the fat. I just had to make sure to shake the bottle really well to mix it up.
I basically use the same concept when making my Greek dressing. Instead of using 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil I use 2 tablespoons of the oil and 2 tablespoons of water.
There is also lemon juice, red wine vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper in the dressing.
One serving of the salad dressing (3 tablespoons) used to be 8 Freestyle points, but it is now only 4 Freestyle points.
I used reduced fat feta cheese to also save points. 1/4 cup is only 2 Freestyle points vs. full fat feta cheese which is 12 Freestyle points. That’s a 10 point difference!
The rest of the ingredients I used are 0 point ingredients – tomato, cucumber, garbanzo beans and lettuce. I usually add red onion but I didn’t have any.
Another great idea is to add boneless, skinless chicken breasts. It’s 0 points and will make your salad even more filling.
This is a salad that I take to work a lot. It travels really well. I just wait until lunch time to add the dressing.
Greek Salad - Weight Watchers Freestyle
Yield: 2 servings – 5 Freestyle points per serving
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- Juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 4 cups lettuce chopped (romaine or iceberg)
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup reduced fat feta cheese
- Optional: sliced red onion and boneless, skinless chicken breast
- In a small bowl mix together the oil, water, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl add the lettuce, cucumber, garbanzo beans, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese and optional ingredients.
- Give the salad dressing a good stir and add it to the large bowl.