This casserole is a winner!! This is one of my favorite recipes that I lightened up for Weight Watchers.
I didn’t have to do too much to lighten up this recipe. Just a few simple changes to make it lower in points, but not compromising any of the flavor.
The original version of this chicken casserole called for more butter. Four tablespoons of butter is 20 Freestyle points! I only used one tablespoon of butter for 5 Freestyle points.
Instead of using full fat milk I used fat-free skim milk for less points.
And finally, I used reduced fat cheddar cheese to save 5 Freestyle points.
As always I had my little helper patiently waiting for some food to drop.
This recipe is a good one for him because I use a rotisserie chicken. As soon as he hears me open the bag he is by my side.
There may have been a couple of pieces of chicken that “accidentally” fell on the floor. He was a happy boy.
I love recipes where I can use a rotisserie chicken. It’s a great time saver!
Yield: 6 servings – 4 Freestyle points per serving
- 3/4 cup onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 3/4 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 cups Pepperidge Farm cubed herb stuffing
- 2 cups boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 T butter
- 14 oz. fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fat free skim milk
- 2 T flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 oz. low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a medium pot. Add onions, celery and carrots. Saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons flour and stir well. Slowly add in the chicken broth, stirring as you add it. Then add in the milk. Add in the garlic powder and let mixture simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Turn heat off and stir in the chicken and stuffing. Pour mixture into a 1.75 quart casserole dish.
- Bake for 23 minutes then add cheddar cheese. Return to the oven for 7 minutes.
- Let casserole cool for 5 minutes before serving.