There are some foods that remind me of the holidays, and this layered jello is one of them.
(This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more info.)
My Mom always made layered jello during the holidays. Everyone loved it, kids and adults.
It’s not difficult to make, just a little time consuming. I’m ok with that because it’s so pretty!
I decided to make my layered jello in 5 oz Dessert Cups. It’s great for portion control plus you can see every layer of the jello.
I bought the Dessert Cups from Amazon. There are 40 in a pack plus they come with spoons. I only used 10 of them for this recipe, but I know the rest will not go to waste.
For this layered jello I decided to go with Christmas colors. I used strawberry, lime and raspberry flavored jello. I bought sugar free jello since it is 0 points.
I’ve seen layered jello recipes that use either Cool Whip or sour cream. My mom always used sour cream so that’s what I used.
Instead of using regular sour cream I used reduced fat sour cream. I don’t think it changed the taste of the layered jello. One cup of regular sour cream is 21 Freestyle points, but reduced fat sour cream is 17 Freestyle points for one cup. That is why I chose the reduced fat sour cream.
There are a couple of tips I have to make this recipe easier. I put the Dessert Cups in a cake pan so it was easy to transfer them to the freezer. You have to get them in and out of the freezer quite a few times.
After I made the jello I poured it into a glass measuring cup. That made it easy to add the jello to the Dessert Cups.
Layered Jello Cups - Weight Watchers Freestyle
Yield: Makes 10 dessert cups – 2 Freestyle points each
- 3 (.3 oz.) boxes of sugar free jello – I used strawberry, lime and raspberry
- 1 cup reduced fat sour cream, divided
- 3 cups plus 9 tablespoons water, divided
- 10 (5 oz.) Dessert Cups
- Add contents of one jello to a mixing bowl. (I started with strawberry.)
- Bring one cup of water to a boil.
- Add the boiling water to the jello and whisk for one minute, until the jello is dissolved.
- In another mixing bowl, add 1/3 cup low fat sour cream. Add to that 1/2 cup of the jello mixture. Whisk together until the sour cream is dissolved.
- Add the sour cream mixture to the 10 dessert cups, then put the dessert cups in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Add 3 tablespoons water to the original jello. Give it a quick whisk and add it to the dessert cups. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Repeat steps 1 through 6 until you have all six layers.