These roasted red peppers are a light and delicious warm weather snack. And they’re low in points! There’s just something about the taste of fresh mozzarella and basil that I love so much and they go great with these roasted peppers.
This is also a quick recipe to throw together. The other night we had all appetizers for dinner so this fit in perfectly. We also snacked on homemade guacamole (a little high in points but I had saved up for it) and mini pita bread with fresh hummus and tabbouleh. It was a fun way to do dinner!
Here are a few of the things I used for this recipe:
(This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more info.)
Roasted Red Peppers
Yield: 4 Servings (3 pepper wedges per serving = 2 Freestyle points)
- 3 red peppers
- 1/4 cup low fat balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- 6 fresh mozzarella balls (the ones I used were 1 point each)
- Fresh basil, chopped
- salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice each pepper into four pieces (removing stem and seeds).
- Add the peppers to a large ziplock bag. Add 1/4 cup of low fat balsamic vinaigrette dressing and zip up bag. Toss it around to get all of the peppers covered in dressing.
- Remove peppers from the bag and place on a baking sheet. Put in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Cut a cheese ball in half, then cut each half in half again. Repeat with all of the cheese balls.
- Remove peppers from the oven. Add 2 pieces of cheese onto each pepper slice and sprinkle with fresh basil. Put back in the oven 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Remove and sprinkle with salt.
NOTE: Once I removed the peppers from the bag I measured the dressing and had 2 tablespoons leftover. When I calculated the recipe in the recipe builder I only added 2 tablespoons of the dressing since that is technically what I used.