Mmmmmm….empanadas!! Just the thought of them makes my tummy happy! However, the points in a restaurant empanada are just too much.
These empanadas are 5 Freestyle points for two. I ate mine with a tablespoon of fat free sour cream making it 6 Freestyle points total and it was perfect. They were so good I could have eaten the whole plate!
I did have a few spoonfuls of the filling left over, but that just meant my husband got to have a little appetizer. 🙂 He said he could have eaten just the filling for dinner.
Mexican food is one of my favorites. Italian is my #1 favorite, but Mexican is a close second.
These empenadas could be even less in points if you make them with the 2 ingredient dough. For me personally, I love empanadas with regular dough.
Yield: 7 servings (2 empanadas per serving = 5 Freestyle points)
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped (I used a rotisserie chicken)
- 1/4 cup fat free salsa
- 1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl mix together the chicken breast, salsa, Mexican cheese, cilantro, cumin and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Sprinkle a small amount of flour on your work surface. Unroll the pie crust. Go over it with a roller.
- Use a 3″ circle cutter to cut out 14 circles. I made 9 circles the first time, then I rolled the scraps into a ball and rolled it out again to get my last 5 circles.
- Add a tablespoon of the chicken mixture to the center of the dough, then fold together and pinch the edges. Use a fork to seal the edges together. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients. Place the empanadas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water. Brush the egg wash over the empanadas.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the empanadas are golden brown.