I can’t believe these cupcakes are only 4 SmartPoints each! They are the perfect treat for a sweet tooth craving, and they are super easy to make. Plus they have fruit in them so they’re kind of healthy, right?
The batter is made by mixing sugar free cake mix and Sprite Zero. I don’t know why this works together, but it does! There are no eggs, no oil, just Sprite Zero. When you first pour it into the cake mix it gets really fizzy, but that ends once you start stirring it. It starts to look like regular cake batter and tastes like it too! I’m assuming since there aren’t any eggs in this it is ok to “test” the batter.
Upside Down Pineapple Cupcakes
Yield: 14 Servings (4 SmartPoints per cupcake)
- Pillsbury sugar free classic yellow cake mix (16 oz.)
- 12 oz. Sprite Zero
- 1 cup chopped pineapple
- Fat free Reddi Wip
- Maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Spray cupcake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add a few pieces of pineapple to each muffin cup. I did four for each cupcake.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cake mix and Sprite Zero. I used a whisk and stirred it for 2 minutes. Pour batter into the cupcake pan. I had enough batter to make 14 cupcakes.
- Bake cupcakes according to the instructions on the box. Mine took 22 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Loosen edges with a knife then invert them onto a cooling rack.
- Finish cupcakes by adding 2 tablespoons of fat free Reddi Wip and a maraschino cherry.