It’s almost Fall, that means it’s the perfect season for soup! I thought I would get a head start today since it was only 70 degrees here in Michigan.
I love soup. Even if it is 90 degrees out I’ll make it. Not only is it tasty but it always fills me up! Mulligatawny is one of my favorites. I never thought I would like curry until I had this soup.
The recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of chopped chicken breast. I like to make mine fresh (with a little bit of garlic powder, salt and pepper for some extra taste), but you can always use leftovers or a rotisserie chicken.
One of the reasons this soup is only 3 SmartPoints per serving is instead of using cream I use skim milk. I also minimize the butter to only one tablespoon.
Yield: 7 one cup servings (3 SmartPoints each)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 5 cups canned chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups chopped skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 1/2 green apple peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup mushroom chopped
- 3/4 cup instant white rice
- 4 ounces skim milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped fresh chives
- Heat butter in a large soup pot. Add chopped onion, celery and carrots. Saute for five minutes.
- Add flour and curry powder, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken broth, bring to a simmer and cook 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken, apple and mushrooms. Cook 15 minutes. Add the rice in the last five minutes.
- Finish by adding the milk, salt, pepper and chives.