I don’t know what it is about taquitos…but I love them! Maybe it’s because it’s fun to say taquitos, or maybe because it’s finger food? I don’t know, but they make my tummy happy.
Of course I bake my taquitos instead of frying them. That saves a lot of points! I made chicken taquitos not too long ago and they were a huge hit with my family. Last night I decided to make steak and cheese taquitos. Considering there weren’t any left I’d say it went over pretty well.
I served them with fat free sour cream & zero point salsa. I added one extra point for the sour cream.
Steak & Cheese Taquitos
Yield: 6 Taquitos (2 taquitos per serving is 6 Freestyle points)
- 6 corn tortillas
- 5 oz. lean steak
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 1 teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 3 slices Sargento ultra thin provolone cheese, sliced in half
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Chop the green pepper and onion.
- Spray a medium frying pan with no-stick cooking spray and the green pepper and onion. Cook over medium heat for 4 minutes.
- Empty the green pepper and onion into a small bowl.
- Cut the steak into thin slices. Season with Montreal Steak Seasoning. Cook steak in the frying pan until it is the color you like.
- Spray a baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
- Heat the tortillas in the microwave for 20 seconds.
- Assemble the taquitos by adding cheese, steak, green pepper and onion to the center of the shell. Roll it up and place on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Spray taquitos with no-stick cooking spray.
- Bake 11-13 minutes or until the shells are golden brown.