I love the convenience of rotisserie chickens from the grocery store. They taste good and they’re great for using in recipes.
I bought one the other day to make a salad with. I used one of the chicken breasts, chopped up some lettuce, carrots, cucumbers and used low fat Italian dressing. My lunch was only one point!
Since I still had the rest of the chicken leftover I figured it would be perfect to make my baked taquitos! They are one of my favorites.
One thing you have to do when working with these corn tortillas is to make sure you heat them before rolling them up. It makes working with them way easier.
You can either heat them in the microwave ( I usually do 5 at a time for 15-20 seconds) or in a pre-heated skillet. I heat them one at a time in the skillet. It may sound tedious but it really isn’t bad. I usually heat and flip one in the skillet while I’m rolling up a taquito.
This recipe has become a family favorite. BOTH of my kids ask me to make this. It doesn’t always happen that way. Usually one likes it, but the other one doesn’t.
This recipe is a win for sure!
Baked Chicken Taquitos
Yield: 6 Servings (2 taquitos per serving for 5 Freestyle points)
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 4 oz. low fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons fat free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fat free salsa
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl mix together the cream cheese, sour cream, salsa and taco seasoning mix.
- Once the mixture is evenly blended stir in the chicken and green onion.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Assemble the taquitos by placing a line of the chicken mixture in the center of the shell, fold one side over the chicken, then roll up. Place on the baking sheet.
- Spray the top of the taquitos with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake 11-13 minutes, or until the shells are golden brown.