Are you a fan of chicken cordon bleu? If so, you’re going to love these!
The idea of this appetizer is based on my chicken parm bites. There’s just something about finger food that I love. I’m not sure what it is, but it makes me happy.
I had two good sized chicken breasts leftover from some tacos I made. I cut the chicken into 1″ pieces and I got 20 pieces out of it.
I had ham and swiss cheese leftover from the Cuban sandwiches I made so I didn’t have to buy anything for this recipe. The other ingredients are things I always have on hand.
I dipped each piece of chicken into the egg, then the bread crumbs, then I put it onto a baking sheet.
I lightly sprayed the chicken with no-stick cooking spray. That helps the breadcrumbs crisp up.
I put the chicken into the oven to bake and I started cutting up the ham and cheese into 1-inch pieces.
After the chicken had baked for 15 minutes I took it out of the oven. I added 1 piece of ham and cheese to each piece of chicken and secured it with a toothpick.
I placed the chicken back in the oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
This is a tasty little appetizer that’s great for parties!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Bites
Yields: 20 bites + sauce (4 chicken bites + 1 tablespoon sauce = 3 Freestyle points)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 slices cooked ham
- 3 slices Swiss cheese, reduced fat
- 1/4 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1″ pieces.
- Place the Italian breadcrumbs into a small bowl.
- Place the egg in a small bowl and scramble it.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with no-stick cooking spray.
- One by one take the chicken and dip it into the egg, followed by the breadcrumbs, then place onto the baking sheet.
- Lightly mist the chicken with no-stick cooking spray.
- Bake the chicken for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- While the chicken is baking cut the ham and cheese into 1-inch pieces.
- When the chicken is done add a piece of ham, then Swiss cheese to each piece. Insert a toothpick to keep them in place. Put back into the oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and mustard. Serve with the chicken bites.