Would you believe I had never had a Cuban sandwich until a few months ago? My entire life I had gone without this masterpiece!!
I’m the type of person that goes to a restaurant and orders the same thing every time. Once I find something I really like I stick with it.
Lucky for me, my husband is the opposite. He’s always trying new things. It works out great for me because he always lets me try his food.
That’s how I came to try my first Cuban sandwich. It’s now added to the many reasons I’m happy to have my hubby in my life. 🙂
I made the pork for this in my Instant Pot. It could also be made in the slow cooker cooked on low for 5 hours.
A Cuban sandwich typically has delicious Cuban bread. As much as I love it, that would add way too many points.
So instead of the bread I used Flatout flatbread. It helped to drastically reduce the points.
There is so much flavor in the pork and other ingredients that I don’t even miss the bread.
- 1 lb. pork tenderloin
- Juice of two oranges
- Juice of two limes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Flatout light original flatbread
- Boar’s Head honey glazed ham
- Reduced fat swiss cheese, shredded
- Vlasic Stackers, Kosher Dill
- Place pork tenderloin (trimmed of any fat) in the Instant Pot.
- In a small bowl combine cumin, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Season the pork tenderloin with it.
- Add the lime juice and orange juice to the Instant Pot. Make sure the valve is closed and secure the lid.
- Manually cook the pork for 30 minutes. Let the pressure release for 5 minutes, then flip the valve to release the pressure.
- Lay out a slice of the flatbread. Add 1 oz. of swiss cheese, 2 oz. of pork, 1 oz. ham, 2 pickles and 1 tablespoon of mustard.
- Add the flatbread to a heated frying pan. Leave the flatbread open until the cheese has melted, then fold over the bread.