No lie….this is one of my favorite things I’ve ever made. Personally, I’m not a huge sushi fan, but my husband loves it.
Last summer we were in Grand Haven and he got me to try a bite of his sushi. For the first time I actually liked it. Probably because there was a fried shrimp in it. Fried food = yum!!
Instead of frying the shrimp I decided to bake it. It was still delicious!! Especially with the spicy mayo.
The one thing I don’t care for is the nori. There’s something about the texture of it that I just don’t like.
That’s part of the reason I made lazy sushi. I think it would be rather difficult to roll this up without the nori plus I don’t think I would have the skills to roll it up and make it look pretty.
Yield: 8 servings (3 Freestyle SmartPoints per serving)
- 2 cups long grain white rice cooked (this is one cup uncooked)
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 8 shrimp, peeled and deveined (I also cut the tails off)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 cucumber
- 8 thin slices of avocado
- 4 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons Sriracha
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl combine all-purpose flour, garlic powder and 1 teaspoon salt.
- In a separate small bowl lightly beat the egg.
- In a third small bowl add the panko breadcrumbs.
- Roll the shrimp in flour (one at a time), then dip them in the egg, and finally the panko breadcrumbs. Place the shrimp on the baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the shrimp. Lightly spray the shrimp with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake for 7 minutes, then flip the shrimp over. Bake an additional 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the shrimp is cooking mix together the light mayonnaise and Sriracha.
- In a small microwave safe bowl add the rice vinegar, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Microwave for 30 seconds so the sugar dissolves. Pour mixture over the cooked rice and stir.
- Cut cucumber into long, thin slices.
- I assembled it by placing 2 cucumber slices on the plate, 1/4 cup of rice, a slice of avocado, drizzled some spicy mayo on that, and finally placed a shrimp on top. You can get as creative as you’d like!