Chicken and dumplings is the perfect comfort food. It’s a hearty, warm, filling meal that reminds me of childhood.
(This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more info.)
The way I used to make it was high in fat and calories. It had butter, cream of chicken soup and regular biscuits.
Don’t get me wrong…it was delicious! The good news is my lightened up version is still delicious!!
I make my chicken and dumplings in the crock pot. It makes for an easy weeknight meal. My favorite part is coming home from work, opening the door and smelling dinner. And it smells so good!
I have the 6-Quart Programmable Crock-Pot and I love it. If I am cooking something in the crock pot it will switch to warm when it is done. I like that because I don’t have to worry about my food overcooking.
This is the crock pot I have:
I also like that it is very easy to travel with. The lid locks down which is great for traveling in the car.
This Chicken and Dumplings recipe is easy to make, but you can also add more veggies to it if you would like. I often do carrots and/or peas which are perfect because they don’t add points.
Chicken and Dumplings
Yield: 6 servings (7 Freestyle per serving)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cans Campbells Healthy Request Condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups Bisquick Heart Smart baking mix
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add onions to 6 quart crock pot and top with chicken breasts.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, parsley, poultry seasoning and garlic powder. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the Bisquick and skim milk.
- Turn crock pot on high. By the spoonful add the biscuits to the top. Replace lid and let it cook for one hour or until biscuits are cooked.