No matter what time of year it is we always have strawberries. My kids love to eat them. I like to eat them too, as a snack or making recipes with them.
French toast was one of my favorite things to eat when I was a kid. Either at home or a restaurant, I loved it.
I still love it, but I don’t eat it as much. Cooked the traditional way it is not very healthy.
Sure it tastes great, most things cooked in butter or oil do. But I eliminated cooking it in all of that fat, and it still tastes great!
I also stuffed my french toast with strawberries and cream cheese. Making them into roll ups made them fun for the kids to eat.
This is a pretty quick and easy recipe to make, which is perfect for breakfast.
For the bread I used Sara Lee 45 calorie multi-grain bread. I cut off the crust, then used a rolling pin to flatten the bread.
I used reduced fat cream cheese to lighten up the filling. I mixed that with finely chopped strawberries and some sugar-free maple syrup.
I could have eaten the filling by itself it was so good!
I dipped the french toast roll ups in egg, milk and cinnamon.
I cooked them in a non-stick frying pan that I sprayed with I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spray. It gave them a little bit of that butter taste without any fat or extra points.
I ate my french toast roll ups with a tablespoon of sugar free maple syrup.
Strawberries and Cream Cheese French Toast Roll Ups
Yield: 4 servings (2 roll ups per serving = 4 Freestyle points)
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 strawberries, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar free maple syrup
- 8 slices of 1 point bread (I used Sara Lee 45 calorie multi-grain bread)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spray
- In a small bowl combine the cream cheese, strawberries and sugar free maple syrup.
- In a shallow bowl whisk together the eggs, milk and cinnamon.
- Cut the crust off of the bread. Use a rolling pin to flatten the bread.
- Place a teaspoon full of the cream cheese mixture along one edge of the bread.
- Tightly roll up the bread.
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Spray with I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spray.
- Place the roll ups in the egg mixture to coat, then add to the pan seam side down. Turn 1/4 at a time making sure to cook all sides. Repeat with the rest of the roll ups.