This French Fry Mashup is the perfect combination of comfort food and bar food. Those are two of my favorite things!
It’s hard to believe that this is Weight Watchers friendly, but it just goes to show that nothing is off limits.
I love all of the ingredients in this mashup. I made baked popcorn chicken, french fries, chicken gravy, reduced fat Mexican cheese, fat-free sour cream and scallions.
All of these delicious ingredients together is 7 points per serving. Not bad if you ask me!
Let’s get to the ingredients that I used. For the french fries I used Oreida Golden Crinkle Fries. You can have 11 of these fries for 3 Freestyle points. Beware though, if you have 12 it’s 4 points. I made sure I only had 11.
If crinkle cut fries aren’t your thing you can always change it up. Oreida has a large variety of different types of fries. Just make sure you calculate the points to make sure it is the same, or adjust it accordingly. Whenever I’m making a recipe by someone else I always double check the points just in case my ingredients have a different point value.
For the gravy I used McCormick chicken gravy. Just the powder stuff you buy in a bag, nothing fancy. I like it because it is very low in points.
The popcorn chicken I made by simply cutting up chicken tenders and putting them in egg, then Italian bread crumbs. I baked them instead of frying them and they were still delicious.
If you’re a football fan this is a great meal to make when you’re home watching the game. It would be perfect for a football party too.
I love making things like this and then telling people it’s a Weight Watchers friendly meal. They are always so surprised.
French Fry Mashup - Weight Watchers Freestyle
Yield: 4 servings – 7 Freestyle points per serving
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken tenders
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 pack McCormick chicken gravy
- 44 Oreida Golden Crinkle Cut Fries
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Mexican cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- Chopped scallions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces – the size of popcorn.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl.
- Add the Italian bread crumbs to a small bowl.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the egg, dredge in the bread crumbs, then place on the baking sheet.
- Put the chicken in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- When the chicken is done, bake the french fries according to the directions on the bag. NOTE: I had to change the temperature of the oven.
- Make the gravy according to the directions on the bag.
- Pull the fries out when there is two minutes of bake time left. Separate into 4 piles, evenly sprinkle the cheese on the four piles and add the chicken. Return to the oven for 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Use a spatula to lift up the french fry piles and add them to 4 different plates.
- Add 1 tablespoon fat-free sour cream, 1 tablespoon chicken gravy and chopped scallions to each pile of fries.