I wanted to come up with another appetizer for Superbowl Sunday…and these hit the spot!! I made quite a few appetizers this week, but these were my favorite.
If you’re looking for a quick recipe, this only took 15 minutes to get ready. Then I baked them for 13 minutes. It’s 3 Freestyle points for two of these big, cheesy balls.
I actually had four (for 6 points) for my dinner. It was worth every point. I’m sure I’ll end up snacking on some carrots and celery later, but for now, my stomach is full of deliciousness.
I served the cheesy balls with some spaghetti sauce, which I highly recommend. I added one more point for that.
Some people have asked me if you could use the two ingredient dough to make these, and I’m sure you can.
For me, I like using the Pillsbury pizza dough. It’s already made which makes this recipe so quick and easy.
If you try it with the two ingredient dough let me know how it turns out!
Yield: 24 cheesy balls (2 cheesy balls = 3 Freestyle points)
- 1 – Pillsbury pizza dough
- 6 pieces Sargento light mozzarella string cheese, each piece cut into four
- One egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Unroll pizza dough. Cut into 24 pieces, I used a pizza cutter.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take one piece of the cheese and put into the center of one dough piece. Wrap it up making sure to pinch the edges closed. We don’t want the cheese to ooze out. Place on baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining 23 pieces of cheese and dough.
- In a small bowl scramble the egg. Brush it on each cheese ball.
- Mix together the Italian seasoning, garlic powder and dried minced onion. Sprinkle onto the cheese balls.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown.