My Mom always made layered rainbow Jello at Christmas time. Hers was so pretty and perfect. It’s one of the many recipes she made that my kids and family remember about her.
I’ve made it a few times at the request of my family. In my eyes, it’s never as good, but they all love it. In honor of my Mom, I wanted to try something new with her recipe. 🙂
Her recipe calls for regular Jello and sour cream. To lighten it up I used sugar free Jello and low fat sour cream. Instead of 4 points per serving it is now 1 point per serving. That’s a huge difference! Plus these hearts are perfect for Valentines Day!
Layered Jello Hearts
Yield: 28 Jello hearts (1 heart = 1 Freestyle Point)
- 4 boxes – (.3 oz.) Sugar free strawberry jello
- 1 1/3 cups low fat sour cream, divided
- 4 cups water, divided
- 12 tablespoons water, divided
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with no-stick cooking spray.
- Boil 1 cup of water.
- Add jello from one box into a mixing bowl. Add boiling water. Stir with a whisk for 1 minute.
- In another mixing bowl, add 1/3 cup low fat sour cream. Add to that 1/2 cup of the jello mixture. Whisk together until the sour cream is dissolved.
- Add the sour cream and jello mixture to the baking dish. Put in the freezer (making sure it’s level) for 15 minutes.
- Add 3 tablespoons water to the original jello. Give it a quick whisk and add it to the baking dish. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Repeat steps 2 through 6 until you have all eight layers.
- Use a small heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out 28 hearts.