When I was little my Dad used to make me mashed potatoes with chili on top. The first time I saw it I thought he had lost his mind. Who puts chili on top of mashed potatoes!? Oh, and I forgot to mention that it was canned chili. The funny thing is…..I LOVED IT!!
I haven’t had that meal in years. I would probably still love it because it would remind me of my childhood. Instead I made a healthy adult version. I used ground turkey instead of ground beef and I used a baked potato instead of mashed.
We don’t eat a ton of ground turkey in my house. In fact, I tricked my daughter into eating it. Once she tried it and said she loved it I told her what it was. She was so surprised! She liked it so much she had leftovers today. That doesn’t happen very often.
Turkey Chili Potatoes
Yield: 6 Servings (6 SmartPoints per serving)
- 1 lb. 99% fat free ground turkey breast
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 14 1/2 oz. petite diced tomatoes
- 14 1/2 oz. canned tomato sauce
- splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 baked potatoes
- In a medium pot brown the turkey with the onions, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Drain the liquid and add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika and cayenne pepper. Stir until it is mixed with the turkey.
- Add the petite diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and splash of Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Split the baked potato open and add about 3/4 cup of chili.
Couple of side notes. I did not add beans. My family doesn’t like them. If you add them you will need to add the points. Also, I added low fat cheddar cheese, green onions and fat free sour cream. That was an extra 2 SmartPoints which made it 8 SmartPoints all together. To me it was totally worth it. This was a very filling meal.