A little bit of savory, a little bit of sweet….that’s my Chicken & Waffle Bites!
This may sound crazy but I had never had chicken and waffles until recently. My husband ordered them from a restaurant by us so I had to try them!
They were just as good as I thought they would be. I only had one bite because they weren’t exactly Weight Watchers friendly.
That meant I had to come up with my own version of Weight Watchers friendly chicken and waffles. Challenge accepted!
I bought Eggo mini waffles. They were the perfect size to turn these into an appetizer, or snack. Two of the waffle sheets is 6 Freestyle points. Each sheet has four waffles so I got 8 mini waffles for 6 Freestyle points. Not too bad!
A little side note…having one waffle (4 mini waffles) is 3 Freestyle points. Add a tablespoon of sugar free syrup with a side of fruit and you have yourself a 3 point breakfast. This is going to be my breakfast for the week since I have some mini waffles left over.
Now back to the recipe…for the chicken I dredged it in flour (which also had garlic powder and salt), then egg, followed by Panko breadcrumbs. I baked it instead of frying it which saves a lot of points. It had a great flavor and still had a crunch to it thanks to the Panko.
The sauce I used was a light mayonnaise and Sriracha mixture. I also added some chives, then a little bit of sugar free maple syrup. It might sound weird, but it was so good.
The real test was whether or not my husband would like my version of chicken and waffles. He did!! He even asked me to make him more. That’s a win in my book!
Chicken & Waffle Bites
Yield: 8 mini waffle bites (2 per serving=3 Freestyle points)
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Eggo mini waffle sheets (totals 8 mini waffles)
- Chopped chives
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- Sugar free maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add flour, garlic powder and salt to a small bowl. Mix well.
- Add egg to a second small bowl and whisk.
- Add Panko breadcrumbs to a third small bowl.
- Cut chicken breast into 1″ pieces
- Spray a cookie sheet with no stick cooking spray.
- Take one piece of chicken and dredge it in flour, then the egg, then the Panko breadcrumbs. Place it on the cookie sheet. Repeat with the rest of the chicken.
- Place chicken in the oven for 10 minutes, then turn the chicken over. Place back in the oven for 5 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Make the Sriracha/Mayo sauce while the chicken is cooking. Simply place the mayonnaise and Sriracha in a bowl and stir.
- Cook the waffles. Assemble by placing a piece of chicken on the waffle, some of the Sriracha/Mayo sauce and fresh chives. Finish by adding sugar free maple syrup.