I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty much sold when a recipe starts with “bacon wrapped”.
This is one of my favorite appetizers to make and probably my husbands favorite.
I had to make a few minor changes to lighten up this recipe. Instead of using regular cream cheese I used light cream cheese.
Also, instead of using regular cheddar cheese I used low-fat cheddar cheese.
And finally, instead of using a whole piece of center cut bacon I used a 1/2 piece for each jalapeno. I couldn’t even tell a difference.
If you’re new to working with jalapenos I highly recommend you wear gloves while scraping out the seeds.
The first time I scraped the seeds out I used my fingers. That night I went to take out my contacts… OH, THE PAIN!!!
I remember it like it was yesterday. I had tears rolling down my cheek and couldn’t even open my eye.
The worst part was I still had one contact in that I had to get out. It was awful. So yes, wear gloves!!
Click here to view your WW Personal Points and track it on your app.
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
Yield: Makes 12 halved jalapenos (3 halves = 4 Freestyle Smart Points)
- 6 jalapeno peppers
- 3 oz. low fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- 6 slices center cut bacon
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Clean jalapenos, cut the tops off, then cut in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds.
- In a bowl mix the softened cream cheese, cheddar cheese and garlic powder. I used about 1/16 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Using a small spoon fill each jalapeno with the cream cheese mixture. Wrap a 1/2 piece of bacon around each jalapeno and secure it with a toothpick.
- Place the jalapenos on a baking sheet. Put in the oven for 20 minutes.