Potatoes are a major comfort food for a lot of people. I’m one of them. I grew up in a meat and potatoes household. I didn’t like it very much at the time, but now I can’t imagine a life without them. Mainly the potatoes. There are so many yummy things you can do with potatoes! Twice baked are my favorite. The way I used to make them involved a lot of butter, whole milk…things that taste good but aren’t good for your waistline. Since I can’t live without twice baked potatoes, I lightened up the recipe.
Twice Baked Potatoes
Yield: 8 servings (1/2 potato per serving)
- 4 medium baking potatoes, washed
- 1/2 cup 1% lowfat milk
- 1/2 cup reduced fat mild cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pierce each potato several times with the tines of a fork. Place on a microwave safe plate and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Turn each potato over (careful, they will be HOT!) and microwave on high for 5 more minutes.
- When the potato is soft, remove from microwave and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the inside of the potato being careful not to tear the skin. Place the hollowed out skins onto a baking sheet.
- Mash the potato with the milk. Add the salt, garlic powder, pepper to taste and chopped onion. Mix together well.
- Place the potato filling into the skins. Place them in the oven until heated through, 15 to 20 minutes.